Governor Kay Ivey announced the extension of the Safer at Home order for Alabama in late September. That order includes new provisions that will impact nursing home residents and their loved ones. Subject to reasonable restrictions, each nursing home resident may now receive visits from one caregiver or visitor at a time. So, what does this mean for our residents, families and friends?
In the interest of our residents’ well-being and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person visits have been suspended since March. Families and friends have been keeping up with our residents in a variety of ways, including e-Cards and video chatting sessions. However, McGuffey Healthcare realizes the importance of in-person visits to residents and their loved ones. At this time, Etowah County does not meet the criteria recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Alabama for re-opening long-term healthcare facilities to visitors.
When all recommended criteria are met by our county and McGuffey Healthcare, in-person visits will resume. Meanwhile, we are planning to provide a visit experience that is as safe as possible for our residents and their guests. We would like to share some information about what future visits may entail.
What to expect
When in-person visits resume, they will be held in a specially prepared area during specific hours. Due to each resident’s specific medical needs, not all residents may be eligible for modified visitation.
All visitors must call the facility at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a time. For the continued health and safety of our residents, temperature checks and COVID-19 screenings will be performed before each visit. McGuffey Healthcare will ask that visitors with headache, fever, congestion, cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, shortness of breath, sore throat or chest pain not come to the facility while they have symptoms. Additionally, visitors should wait 10 days after the onset of symptoms before visiting.
- Spaces for visits are limited. Two residents may receive guests at a time.
- Two visitors are allowed for each resident.
- All visitors must be 16 years of age or older.
- Masks are required for all residents and their guests.
- Social distancing guidelines of 10 feet will be enforced.
- Non-compliance with the guidelines will result in the suspension of visiting privileges for guests.
- Visits are limited to 15 minutes.
- Visiting hours will be canceled in the case of inclement weather.
- At least one staff member will be on duty during all visits.
Tips for a great visit
- All guests must be on time for their scheduled visit.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before, during and after a visit.
- All visitors must stay in the designated areas.
- Gifts, supplies and care packages for residents are encouraged. All items will be disinfected and delivered.
We would like to thank our McGuffey Healthcare families and friends for their patience and support throughout this time. It has been a privilege to be entrusted with the care of your loved ones and we look forward to being able to offer them the comfort of in-person visits again. Please continue to keep in touch using our Facebook page and e-Cards or schedule a video chat.